Tenants Electrical Advice

Use a licensed electrical contractor in Perth!


When you move into a new rented property you should check all of the electrical equipment. As we all know electricity is dangerous so a quick check can save your life. Your landlord is obliged by law to make sure that all the electrical fitting sand fixtures in your property are safe to use – however as we know some landlords can be less willing than others. If you are having problems getting your landlord to fix your electrics  you should contact your local council and ask for  Tenants Electrical Advice


All appliances provided to you by your landlord, this includes your fridge, dishwasher, washing machine etc will have a PAT test certificate. That’s the the little sticker on the right. The sticker is there to indicate that the appliance is safe for use. Having appliances test to PAT standards is not a legal requirement for your landlord but is highly recommended by the Electrical safety council. Nowadays we have so many electrical appliances, it’s very easy to make mistakes and cause damage to property and yourself. Having your items PAT tested will ensure that you avoid any harmful or costly blunders.


One of the first things you should do when you move into a new property is inspect all the light switches, light fittings and, wall sockets. Condition is the most important factor. you should mention any cracking or damage to your landlord as soon as possible so they can correct any issue.

All light switches and power sockets have a legal height requirement that cannot be exceeded. This is to ensure that the elderly and disabled can reach switches and sockets without difficulty as well as to stop small children causing themselves injury by attempting to reach them. If you feel that the electrical switches in your home are not at an appropriate level contact your landlord for an inspection.

Tenants Electrical Advice

The Fuse box

Your fuse box should have attached to an RCD for added protection. An RCD is an attachment that prevents electric shocks and they injuries they can cause. In this case your landlord has a legal responsibility to include an RCD on the fuse box. If you feel you Fuse box does not have one, contact your landlord immediately. Electrical components of your fuse box are live and can be very dangerous so it’s always important to ensure your safety before examining your fuse box. And of course if you’re not qualified to do never attempt any repairs yourself.

Electrical installation condition report (EICR)

At some point one of the electrical items in your home will break. It’s part of life. It’s completely normal for appliances to need replacing over time. If you feel like an item is faulty don’t hesitate to call your landlord and they should send someone out to come and inspect and fix the issue. In the event that for some unusual reason your landlord refuses to fix the the issue the next step is to contact your local authority and request advice for what action you can take. They will know what the best steps are. Including legal action if needed.

In any scenario, unless you are qualified DO NOT attempt any repairs yourself. ASk for Tenants Electrical Advice

What if the Landlord won’t help?

 Your landlord should be conducting a EICR report every five or ten years, depending on the age of the home. As well as new report for every new tenancy. Although your Landlord is not legally obliged to conduct one they are advised by the Electrical Safety council to do so. You should also ensure that any work completed on your home is in line and meets Standards.